Work and School
Hello all! My name is Victoria, and I am a software engineer at Google in Kirkland, WA and I have been there since the beginning of May 2010. I am working on the Chrome Video team, helping implement the <video> tag and other goodness!
Prior to Google, I was attending the University of Washington, Seattle. For my undergrad I had a 4-year full tuition scholarship, and in December 2008 I received my Bachelors in Computer Science with a Math minor. Immediately afterwards, I entered the Computer Science Master's program at UW and in March 2010, I earned my Master's degree. At my time at UW, I was a TA for Intro CSE 142 for approximately 5 million quarters, and I actually got a chance to teach the course in Summer 2009. I also did research under Evan Welbourne on the UW RFID ecosystem project, and I got to take a lot of fun and interesting classes. The UW CSE program was absolutely amazing to me, so I hope I can help them out now that I am a grown lady!
Prior to UW, I was attending Pierce College instead of attending the last 2 years of high school through the Washington State Running Start program (3rd best decision of my life). Pierce had some of the most amazing instructors I've ever met, and I couldn't more highly recommend it as a place to start one's higher education.
- My favorite vegetable is avocado, followed by corn. Basically the only 2 vegetables delicious enough to make you fat.
- I am half Korean, half white. I've found that Koreans from Korea tend to think I am 100% white, and I've met many Americans who thought I was 100% Korean. But halvsies can always tell who else is half!
- I am a girl's girl. I love shopping, hate driving, and am perpetually trying to lose those last 10 pounds.
- I am a dog person and I love all dogs, but especially my friend Lindsey's dog, Toby. Plans are underway to steal him, shh!
- I love Judy Garland, Janis Joplin, Lena Horne, Nina Simone, Mariah Carey (pre-crazy), Aretha Franklin, and the Beatles (post-crazy). Also, every Judas scene in Jesus Christ Superstar 1970s. (I plan to name my next car Carl Anderson. (Car Anderson?))
- I've never watched many movies or TV shows, but I'm working on it now that I'm in my 20s!
- I am obnoxiously opinionated about literature. I love Walt Whitman and Salinger and Flannery O'Connor, need to read more Shirley Jackson and Nabokov as I've loved everything I've read so far. I am part of a book club and am making my best effort not to be a literadouche (as I may/may not have been in college)!
- I love literature, but I'm not at all a grammar freak. My vocab kind of sucks, too. My only grammar pet peeves are who/whom and less/fewer, but for some reason they only bug me if I see it written wrong (not if I hear it).
- I suck at driving. One night I couldn't get my car to start. Turned out the battery had died, but before I knew that, I had one of my friends try to start the car just in case I had simply forgotten how to drive and was somehow doing it wrong. It wasn't likely that I had forgotten how to drive, but the probability was greater than 0.
- I have an eye phobia. I hate eyes. I hate others touching my eyes (optometrist's, people applying make-up) and I am prone to fainting at the discussion of lasik surgery. I'm pretty sure if I got lasik surgery, I would be chronically fainting like every 5 seconds.
- At first I wanted to be a "scientist". Then, a lawyer. Then I wanted to be a professional piano player. Then I wanted to be an English teacher, then a piano teacher, then a Korean teacher. Then an English teacher again. I finally settled on computer science, and my parents breathed a biiiig sigh of relief. Looking back, phew!! I am relieved too!